Get Smarter With Apps

Agent 001 goes on a mission to uncover the truth  behind brain training. Is it  truly effective?

I landed myself a rather cushy task this month which involved  spending most of my time in the  offce with a steaming mug of coffee  rather than hunting for a very specifc  motherboard on Lamington Road in a heavy downpour. It all started when my Digit friends came across this brain  training website/app called Lumosity.

Lumosity’s gamifed training program  promises a substantial boost in your  cognitive and reasoning abilities, in  other words it makes you smarter and  more intelligent. These claims kicked off  a huge debate regarding the effcacy of  such brain training programs in actually enhancing your brain’s abilities.

Now, a lot of research is going on in this  particular direction with some of the  world’s best psychologists and neuroscientists working to fnd conclusive  evidence backed by statistics. But unlike  peer reviewed research papers we just  took on to test these claims ourselves,  we decided to use this service and see for ourselves if it enhanced our brains  capabilities. I was to use Lumosity for  a month and get a frst hand encounter  with serious brain training. The next  step was determining how would we  measure my progress – using Lumos-ity’s own numbers didn’t make much  sense here. Hence, I decided to settle on a  standardized battery of tests created by the Medical Research Council at Cambridge University. The results would  give me my position on a bell curve of the  population’s performance in the areas of  memory, reasoning and verbal ability. I  would take the test again after a month  and measure my progress and verify  the validity of claims discussed earlier.

A little background information on  Lumosity before proceeding further: It  was co-founded by one Michael Scanlon,  who abandoned his PhD in neuroscience at Stanford to convert his research  into a fedgling business. Lumosity had  launched in 2005, it has grown 150% year-on-year and as of April 2013 it has  40 million members. Lumosity’s iOS  app has been downloaded more than 10  million times with the app frequently  fnding it’s way to the top positions in its  category. The science behind Lumosity  is what they call ‘neuroplasticity’, which  is defned as the brain’s ability to physically reshape itself when faced with new,  challenging problems. Lumosity also  carries out research by collaborating  with researchers from prestigious universities across the world, which  it calls the Human Cognition Project.

Lumosity
Lumosity’s website and app allow these researchers to conduct experiments over the Internet obviating the need to recruit participants and arranging lab visits.

I took my initial Cambridge Brain Sciences test on 25th of May, it turned out  that I wasn’t as intelligent as I thought.

I was in the 34th percentile for short-term memory, 71st percentile for  reasoning ability and the 46th percentile  for verbal intelligence. My regime was to train with Lumosity in the morning after  or accompanied by my morning cuppa everyday for one month. I would take the Cambridge Brain Science IQ challenge once again at the end of the month to see if I’ve actually made progress or not. Another thing to add here is that I used the free version of the program, which according to Lumosity was not giving me the beneft of a comprehensive training program. The paid subscription service would have given me personalized training,access to all the games that

Lumosity has to offer, anytime and compare my scores with others. A monthly subscription costs $14.95 per month, which according to the current exchange would convert to `887 per month. The charge comes down to $6.7, which is equivalent to `397 per month if you commit for a year or $4.99 that is about `295 per month if you commit for two years. There is an option to purchase the subscription for a lifetime that costs $299.95 that comes to around `17,779.

The app’s interface is incredibly simple and dead easy to follow when you register for the program you  are greeted with a wizard which helps  you build your personalized training  program. The areas where Lumosity  focuses are memory, attention, speed,  fexibility and training. Lumosity offers  different games to improve specifc  aspects in these areas viz., for memory, the aspects on which training is offered are  recalling the location of objects, remembering names after the frst introduction, learning new subjects quickly and  accurately and keeping track of several  ideas at the same time. I wanted to check all the tests that they had to offer thus

I selected every aspect of focus areas  on offer for my personal training.


After a day of training on Lumosity
Alternative Brain training programs/Games

Brain Spade Games
www.brainspade.com
AARP Brain Games
games.aarp.org
Brain Metrix
www.brainmetrix.com
Brain Age Games
www.freebrainagegames.com
Mind Games
www.mindgames.com/brain-games.php
Miniclip
http://www.miniclip.com/games/
genre-476/brain-training/en/


Speed Match is good to sharpen the brain

The games themselves are incredibly polished and well designed. I played ‘Speed Match’, which improves my speed  and memory. I played ‘Eagle Eye’ and  ‘Lost in Migration’ which worked on my attention skills. I played ‘Speed Match’  and ‘Memory Map’ enhancing my short- term memory and ‘Word Bubbles’ and  ‘Rain Drops’ for fexibility and problem  solving skills respectively. In the free  version you can play these games only  once per day. The games are not acces-sible after you’ve completed your daily  dose of brain boosters. Another thing to  note is that these games are assigned to  you on a random basis, thus everyday  is like a lottery. Lumosity’s own scoring  index is called BPI (Brain Power Index),  which it derives by comparing your  game scores with results from other  players, and assigning you an index  based on your relative performance.

Now talking about the results, I tried  to stick to the regime that I came up with,  but quite frankly I was not able to do it  everyday. I stuck to the schedule for the frst two weeks but then the practice session kept on becoming more sporadic. I  found the games slightly juvenile - stars  dancing around the screen, submarines,  monsters and penguins, which made it  quite boring to trudge through the games  everday. Though this is what I felt, and  other people who are playing these games  might not necessarily feel the same. I took  the fnal Cambridge Brain Sciences test  at the same time and same conditions as  the frst one, so there is no discrepancy in  the result. I scored in the 38th percentile  in short-term memory, 78th percentile  in reasoning ability and 49th percentile  in verbal ability, a modicum of progress  in all areas. According to Lumosity itself 

I have been able to bump my BPI from  485 to 672 in the span of one month, with  the largest gains in memory, speed and problem solving. The free version does not  let you see your historical performance  and the detailed breakdown of your  performance, but if you keep the track of  your scores then you can make out your  strengths and weaknesses easily enough.

The most important question, is it  actually effective? I am now supposedly more intelligent than I started out,  but the skeptic in me refuses to believe.

Does intelligence in its truest sense only  mean getting better in these sections? I  couldn’t actually see my performance  on each and every game that I played  but I could make out from the general  progress in scores that the more I played  a particular game, the more I scored.

I played these games repeatedly  for quite some time and the final test  panned out in the same vein, and thus
I believe that I’ve gotten better only at  these particular games and tests. None- theless, it does feel like I have achieved  something even if it’s a few notches  higher in the BPI or hitting a higher  percentile on the tests. Not necessarily  boosting your IQ and making you a  genius, these games in my opinion are  just a form of mental exercise. They just  keep your brain in shape like any other  muscle in the body, the choice of training  is entirely your. It can be Sudoku or a  crossword in your daily paper, riddles  and puzzle, math-based exercises or even brain games such as these.

0 comments:

Post a Comment